The Book Depository

Monday, December 20, 2010

Reading Jesus was a Jew by A. Fruchtenbaum

About 2 weeks ago I started reading "Jesus was a Jew" by Arnold Fruchtenbaum. I was introduced to Fruchtenbaums messages few years ago by listening some tapes ( I know, I know, tapes right). Anyway, some of his insights to Jewish religion, history and common Jewish life were brilliant. If you want to check some of his ministry, I'm sure there are parts of his sermons and teachings that could be freely downloaded.

Regarding this book, but I'm kinda sure it somehow applies to all Fruchtenbaum's expository writing is this over-sectioning when he writes. He's splitting a single verse in 3 different parts with 4 subsections for each part and 3 different applications for each subsection. While I guess this is a proper expository work, you might sometimes get a bit bored as you are reading through the same Bible passage for the 4th time as he is now emphasizing another point in the same word. As much as he's got rich and wonderful insight he sometimes get's carried away in stating the obvious.
Or maybe I'm reading his books in a wrong way. Don't know. I still have to finish "how to read a book". ;-)
D

No comments:

Post a Comment