The Book Depository

Monday, January 3, 2011

Read: If you want to walk on water you've got to get out of the boat

So, some time ago I finished listening to an audio book from John Ortberg called "Everybody's normal till you get to know them". Although I like listening to books, I've figured out I only like it for the books I've already read. Otherwise I would "read" it too fast. Well, I've decided to check this Ortberg guy a bit more so I went to Bookdepository.com and searched for some other of his books. Eventually I ended up ordering Zondervans miniature edition, not really knowing what miniature edition means. My wife had a good laugh about it when the book arrived 10 days later. It's a mini pocket size, that's for sure.

To be honest, I would hope every book would have a pocket size version as well. Not only you get to read the most important parts in what is basically a condensed version, but you get to read it fairly quickly.

But. There's always a but. But, what if the stuff that editors picked out to be "the most important" isn't really important to you? What if they were in a period in life where only one part of the book really spoke to their heart and that's the main focus of the shorter version now. As much as I liked the idea of reading a shorter version of the whole book, now I have a feeling that I'm constantly reading the same stuff. I guess they got rid of boring parts which make the book readable. Besides that, I've found out that some sentences are repeating themselves in less than a single page distance.

I guess that in this time of informational overflow, as we try to save time and money, some things can't really be shorten down to what is more important. Cause I'm sure the author himself would do that part as he was re-reading his piece before sending to publisher. Long live "normal" editions.

Take care. Read real books;-)

D

No comments:

Post a Comment